Monday, January 08, 2007

Lot of action taking place in US soccer

Ok, time for a little duel soccer post.

Let's start with some increasing transfer talk with NYRB.

As I have mentioned before, the name Ronald Waterreus has come into the discussion for Red Bull again, this time with quite a bit more force. His agent is claiming (in a somewhet shakey statement where he basically says two different things in the span of a few words) that "the details are settled".

So that about covers that situation, I am confused on how I feel about the signing. Not good to lose an SI spot, but obviously a great keeper. I'l wait for details to overeact, but for now the news is welcome.

Just a couple days after that story broke, Claudio Reyna found his way back into the Red Bull rumor mill (not like he ever left).

I think this makes his January signing almost a deffinate, and I think the head honchos know not to use the "DP" on him or Waterreus.

I am ecstatic about the Reyna signing (if/when it happens). Simply a great influence and a great player to have. I cannot stand it when people complain about possible injuries and that he is over the hill. He is 33 years old, Youri was still preforming at 37. I can't wait to see this guy in uniform (insert "you won't see him in uniform, only in the trainers room" joke here).

Alot of signs point to these deals, or deals of some kind being announced this week.
Just take this quote from Ives...

"but I can tell you things will start to pick up next week as the Red Bulls wake up from their winter slumber to start putting together the 2007 roster."

-------------------------------------

Part two of this post is dedicated to the rebirth of US soccer. Ok, let's not go that far, but at least they are starting to kick the ball around again as the January camp for the upcoming friendly vs. Denmark later this month.

I will copy a post I posted on Big Soccer earlier today to give my sentiments.

"This is just exciting. This is the start of the journey. You can't help but get excited thinking that this is the beginning of what will go into the next world cup four years from now. Regardless of how far away they are, this is where it starts.In alot of the traning videos, I like how Bradley runs things.

But I hope behind closed doors he is a good motivator. That is what our guys need. Regardless of our chances, someone needs to install the confidence in them that the goal here is to win a world cup, not just get out of group play. The US soccer team has long had an inferiority complex, and I am afraid this past cup added to it.

I have seen countless interviews where players have just said we want to make advances, "I hope to be alive when we win a world cup", that kind of stuff. It is time to lose that if we ever are going to win one."

I think this upcoming cycle has alot of talent comming from all age groups, and I am very excited to see how guys like Jozy and Freddy and the rest of the prospect U-20's blend in with our Men's pool players by the time qualifying and the actual World Cup come arund.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home